Katerina Velliou was born in 1973 in Thessaloniki, Greece. In 2014, she graduated with honors from the Faculty of Fine Arts, School of Visual and Applied Arts of the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki (2008-2014). Following her graduation, she continued her postgraduate studies in the field of Architectural Design at the Architecture School of the University of Thessaly (2014 – 2016). She has presented 3 solo shows (2020, P-art Gallery Virtual 3D space, Chicago / 2019, Zygote Press Shop, Cleveland / 2016, Metamorfosis Art Gallery, Thessaloniki) and has participated in many group exhibitions, residencies and projects in Greece and abroad. The transitions of form overtime, the representation and captivation of this transition and the conceptual formation of its’ snapshots are the primary issues of Katerina’s Velliou arguability.
During her studies in the Faculty of Fine Arts, among else she successfully completed the modules of: Painting, Engraving, Theory and Methods of Implementing Industrial Design, Scenography, Theatrical Costume and Stage Design.
From 1995 to 2017 she has been working as an executive manager in private companies within the field of graphic design, research, architectural construction and commercial interest. Since 2017 she has been teaching Fine Arts in public schools of secondary education in Greece. During 2017-2018, she successfully materialized educational programs such as: a) “Primary Education Teachers in Chalkidiki” : a cultural program implemented with the pupils of the Elementary School of Arnea b) ‘The golden hat’: design and realization of a fairy tale with the participation of the first and second elementary school students of Stageira – Stratoniki. The project was presented at the European School Radio http://europeanschoolradio.eu/archives/production/2674. c) Co-ordination, program design and supervision of designing the communication material for the 2nd International Week of Alexandrio Technological Educational Institute of Thessaloniki: a program where thirty universities from fifteen different countries participated. The communication material was implemented with the creative participation of students from four different elementary schools of Chalkidiki.
In 2021 she designed the project ‘Spring, TOPOS I’ in which 21 artists participated. All the artistic activities and the posting of the works took place on the balconies of a hotel in the center of Thessaloniki with the aim of starting a dialectic of inside and outside. Additionally, ‘The symbols of struggle, 1821 – 2021, TOPOS II’ project was designed with the same concept for the Numismatic Museum of Athens, curated by Georgios Kakavas, art historian and director of the Museum. During 2019 she was nomimade in the Art Resident: Global Arts Initiative – Pop Exhibition – Artist Talk in Cleveland ΟΗ, USA (Zygotepress Org). During the program were implemented: a) MasterClass entitled “introduce Your microcosmoses”, to local artists b) MasterClass entitled “introduce your school” to an intercultural primary school in Cleveland, USA ‘THOMAS JEFFERSON’. During 2017 she was nominated for the participation in the Dresden Residents – Artist Talk program. Additionally, she collaborated with the artist Theodoros Zafeiropoulos for the presentation and development of the project “HomeLand” under the auspices of the 18th Biennale of European and Young Mediterranean Artists titled House, Conflict, Dream, Failure in Tirana, Albania. In 2014 her project ‘Mets Giving (The Gift) – Argotera Temple’ was presented under the auspices of Micro-geographies project, curated by Haricleia Harris as part of the New York-based World Wide Storefront (WWSf) platform. Moreover, she represented the School of Fine Arts of Aristotle University of Thessaloniki during the “4th TRANSFORM 2013” hosted by the National University of Arts Bucharest in Romania. During the same year, her project “kapsula” was honored at the “Designing Creative Synergeies” conference organized by the International University of Greece. In 2011, she was awarded with distinction for designing a proposal for the outer shell of the Aristotle Racing Team, Arthurle Racing Team, Arthur Racing Team (ART), AUTh. The project “Design of exterior car shell ART” was selected and presented at the BIENNALE of Young Artists “SIMBIOSIS”. During the same year, she represented the School of Fine Arts of Aristotle University of Thessaloniki at the exhibition “2nd TRANSFORM 2011” hosted by the National Academy of Art Sofia Bulgaria, at the National Gallery of Foreign Arts. “Design of exterior car shell ART” was selected and presented at the BIENNALE of Young Artists “SIMBIOSIS”. During the same year, she represented the School of Fine Arts of Aristotle University of Thessaloniki at the exhibition “2nd TRANSFORM 2011” hosted by the National Academy of Art Sofia Bulgaria, at the National Gallery of Foreign Arts. In 2010, she was excelled to represent Greece at the Pan-European Congress of Science and Art organized by Huldafestival at the conference and ARTSCIST held in Istanbul. She represented Greece at ‘POLYLOG’, the 2nd Mediterranean Biennale of Cologne under the subject “SISYPHOS”. The exhibition was held at the Statt-Museum gallery of modern art, Köln-Sülz. Her artworks have been showcased in group exhibitions, projects and online platforms in Greece and abroad. She has presented a solo exhibition and has participated in many group exhibitions in Greece and abroad. Katerina Velliou lives and works in Thessaloniki.
• “58 _microcosmoses” | P-art Gallery Virtual 3D space, Chicago, USA.
• “microcosmoses” | Zygote Press Shop – Gallery, Cleveland, USA.
• “ON FORM” | Curating: G. Bolis | Metamorfosis Gallery, Thessaloniki, Greece.
• “The symbols of struggle, 1821 – 2021, TOPOS II” | Curating: G. Kakavas | Numismatic Museum of Athens [NUMMUS] Athens, Greece.
• “The Spring, TOPOS I” | GATTO PERSO, Hotel | Curating: K. Velliou | Thessaloniki, Greece.
• Common Lab – How To | Virtual workshop series by Elli Chrysidou | Curating: S. Bahtsetzis | Thessaloniki, Greece.
• “The Art Newspaper “BANANIA REVIEW”, May 2020 edition | Platforms project – Independent Art Fair | Future Scenarios | Athens, Greece.
• “Cultural Memory II” | Archaeological Museum of Milos | Curating: P. Kosmas | Milos Island, Greece.
• “VISUAL SYMPHONIES, LABOR BEETHOVEN 2020” | MOMUS -Experimental Center for the Arts | Thessaloniki, Greece.
• “Banania Elections” | Platforms project | Independent Art Fair | Future Scenarios | Athens, Greece.
• Art Resident: Global Arts Initiative – Pop Exhibition – Artist Talk | Cleveland ΟΗ, USA | Zygotepress Org.
• “We need bureaucracy (.,? / ! > < + – )” | Platforms project – Independent Art Fair | Future Scenarios | Athens, Greece.
• Dresden Residents – Artist Talk program & Exhibition | Feuerwache-Loschwitz | Dresden, Germany.
• “yεnεές” | Artanc project | Curating: P. Kosmas | Athens, Greece.
• 18th Biennale Mediteranea | Curating: Hellenic Ministry of Youth | Τirana, Albania.
• “Dialogues” | Curating: Christos Christofis | Vogiatzoglou Gallery | Athens, Greece
• “Rooms 2017 +” | Curating: Domna Gounari | Hotel St George Lycabetus and Kappatos Gallery | Athens, Greece.
• “From Santorini to Athens: Greeks artists’ trips” | EOS Gallery | Santorini Island, Greece.
• ‘’For One,Another.’’ Exhibition | TOMS, Thessaloniki | Gallery Nitra, Thessaloniki, Greece.
• Mera | Romantzo | Athens, Greece.
• “Thirty eight facades, one motive” | Metamorfosis Gallery | Thessaloniki, Greece.
• S.O.M.A (Scattered Open Μuseum of Attica), | Curating: Hariklia Haris, Yorgos Iatrou | Keratea Attikis, Greece.
• “The reflection of the plate” | Curating: Lina Mantikou | Gastronomy Museum | Athens, Greece.
• “Mets Giving”, Temple of Argotera Artemis, Mets, Microgeographies | Curating: Hariklia Haris | STOREFRONT For Art and Architrcture | Athens, Greece & N.Y. USA.
• “Presentation of young artists” | MOMus-Museum of Contemporary Art | Thessaloniki, Greece.
• TRANSFORM 2013 | National University of Arts | Bucharest, Romania
• “Chrisa Paidia” | 48 Dimitria Festival | Thessaloniki, Greece.
• “Ulay + Κaiti Hailiori, Synergies”, Delphi Museum & Gallery Τehnohoros “World Water Museum” | Athens, Greece.
• INSPIRE 2013 | MOMus-Museum of Contemporary Art | Thessaloniki, Greece.
• Festival Anakata – Anakatataxi| P. Melas Camp | Municipal Public Company Pavlos Melas, IRIS, 2012 | Thessaloniki, Greece.
• INSPIRE 2012 | MOMus-Museum of Contemporary Art | Thessaloniki, Greece.
• Festival Anakata 4 | P. Melas Camp Municipal Public Company Pavlos Melas, IRIS | Thessaloniki, Greece.
• TRANSFORM 2012 | MOMus-Museum of Modern Art | Thessaloniki, Greece.
• “off shore project” | Meropi Island – Κardamili Messinias | Filoppapou Team | Kalamata, Greece.
• Retrospective exhibition G.Tsakiris, participation in the set – up of «GIOYKO» | MOMus-Museum of Contemporary Art | Thessaloniki, Greece.
• “Chartes 1987 – Τaxidia 2012” V.Karakatsanis & 20 young artists| Gallery Τechnohoros Αthens | Athens, Greece.
• Design-Ark “Park your ideas” | Center of Architecture, Thessaloniki | School of Fine Arts | AUTH | Thessaloniki, Greece.
• “VOM PHOTO About Photography Speaking” | MOMus – Thessaloniki Museum of Photography (School of Fine Arts AUTH & Biennale of Photography Thessaloniki) | Thessaloniki, Greece.
• 2nd Painting Lab Fine Arts AUTH Group Exhibition | Center of Engraving ILIOS | Thessaloniki, Greece.
• Group Exhibition of the School of Fine Arts Students, under the auspices of the exhibition GOYA & BEETHOVEN | Teloglio Center of Arts | Thessaloniki, Greece.
• 3rd International Symposium on Aqua Science Water Resources and the Arts in California, under the subject :Water considered by modern art as a natural bequest. Video installation as part of K.Haliori’s project: World Water Museum Installation.
• Participation in the project ‘Carnival Pause’ currated by the artist N. Haralampidis and the team NO EGO – Athens Biennale 2011 – Μonodromos | Athens, Greece.
• SYMBIOSIS 15η Biennale of Young Artists, participated with the Design team of the Formula of the Aristotle Racing Team (ART) | Apothikes, Thessaloniki Port| 15th Biennale of Meditteranean Young Artists | Thessaloniki, Greece.
• Video installation at the 9th International Hydrogeological Conference – Kalavrita | as part of K. Haliori Project: World Water Museum Installation | Greece.
• Ephemeral Art with the team NO EGO | Kodra Camp | Thessaloniki, Greece.
• Festival Anakata VOL III | P.Melas Camp | Municipality Public Company of Pavlos Melas, Iris | Thessaloniki, Greece.
• TRANSFORM SOFIA 2011 | National Gallery of Foreign Arts | National Academy of Art Sofia Bulgaria
• “40,65Ο N & 22,09ο E” | Tehnonoros Gallery | Athens, Greece.
• UNBLOCK art – Festival of Creative Expression – «Unblock Art»| BLOCK 33 | Thessaloniki, Greece.
• «Science and Art » HULDA FESTIVAL | Campus Istanbul Technique University | Istanbul, Turkey.
• «40 young artists exhibit» | Gallery Papatzikou | Veroia, Greece.
• Artistic Forum in Voni – project: «OPEN MIND» (15 artists from 10 diferent countries.) | Voni, Germany.
• Artscist Exhibition in Istanbul – Huldafestival & Paneuropic Conference of Science and Art – project: «Science and Art» | HULDA FESTIVAL | Istanbul, Turkey.
• “SISYPHOS” | Statt-Museum gallery of modern art, Köln – Sülz | POLYLOG 2nd Mediterranean Biennale of Kolonia | Kolonia, Germany.
• “Film-works SISYPHOS” | POLYLOG 2nd Mediterranean Biennale of Kolonia | Galerie im Turm, Köln | Kolonia, Germany.
• Art Exhibition | Laografiko Museum Afitos | Chalkidiki – Greece.